Last Updated on May 20, 2021 by MoneyVisual
The Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) is an excellent retirement scheme that caters to salaried individuals. You and your employer both make contributions to your EPF account on a monthly basis.
A part of your gross salary is deducted every month as your contribution towards the EPF, and your employer deposits the same amount to account for their share.
You can withdraw your PF amount along with the interest you earn on it only at retirement or when you resign the company. However, you must keep an eye on your PF account from time to time and check its balance. Being observant about the money in your account will help you notice double or no deductions, interest rate increases or decreases, and know if your employer is contributing their share or not.
Checking your PF balance is easy and you can do it via the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation website or by visiting your local branch in person. All you need is your Universal Account Number. The EPFO issues this and you must keep a UAN handy for all PF-related transactions. So, plan where to invest your PF maturity proceeds and keep an eye on the balance using any of the following options.
How to Check PF Balance Online
Using the EPFO Website
To check your PF balance via the EPFO website, ensure that you have your Universal Account Number (UAN) verified and activated by your employer. You can then follow the following steps:
- Visit the EPFO portal.
- Select the tab ‘Our Services’ on the main menu.
- From the drop-down menu, choose ‘For employees’.
- Now, go to ‘Services’ and select ‘Member passbook’.
- On the login page, enter your UAN number and password.
- Enter the captcha code and click on ‘Login’.
- Right after this, you will be redirected to a page where your employment information will be displayed and you can then view your EPF balance.
Through UMANG App
To check your PF balance using UMANG app, follow these steps:
- Install the UMANG app on your handheld device.
- Open it and choose ‘EPFO’.
- Once the EPFO page opens, click on ‘Employee Centric Services’.
- Now, select ‘View Passbook’ and key in your UAN.
- Click on ‘Get OTP’ to receive get it on your UAN registered mobile.
- Once verified, you can view all your EPF accounts.
- Click on a particular EPF account to view the balance.
Through EPFO App
Alternatively, you can also check your PF balance using the EPFO app, better known as the M-Sewa. Here are steps you can follow:
- Download the app from Google PlayStore on your smartphone.
- Launch the application and click on the ‘Member’ option.
- Choose ‘Balance/passbook’.
- Key in your UAN and registered mobile number.
- Wait for the verification of your details.
- Once verified, your PF balance will be displayed on the screen.
How to Check PF Balance Offline
Through SMS Alerts
You do not have to wait in unending queues to check your PF balance but can use an SMS to check it from anywhere, anytime. All you have to do is send a single SMS from your registered number to 7738299899. But, before sending the SMS to ensure that your mobile number is linked to your UAN. Thereafter, send a message typing out < EPFOHO UAN ENG > to 7738299899. Here, ‘ENG’ is interchangeable with the first three letters of the language of your choice. EPFO gives you 10 languages to pick from.
Through Missed Call
You can also check your PF balance by giving a missed call to 011-22901406. To do this, you have to give a missed call from your registered mobile number. The call will automatically get disconnected after two rings; thereafter, you will receive an SMS with your PF balance.
Using these methods you can easily check your PF balance anytime you want. However, begin planning where to invest your PF maturity sum while you are still working. Since your PF funds are meant to secure your golden years, invest it in low-risk options like fixed deposits. This way, you will avoid principal erosion and also earn guaranteed steady returns on maturity.
Consider reputed issuers like Bajaj Finance to enjoy a suite of benefits on a Fixed Deposit.
Awarded ICRA and CRISIL’s highest credit ratings, these FDs signify stability for your investment. It offers interest up to 8.95% for senior citizens and 8.60% for regular investors on a tenor of at least 36 months or more, with interest payable at maturity. Additionally, to continue earning higher, you can opt for auto-renewal and at the start of a new tenor, you will get 0.25% extra interest as a bonus.
Moreover, when faced with a cash crunch, you can pledge your Bajaj Finance FD to take a loan of up to Rs.4 lakh, which eliminates the need for you to make a premature withdrawal. To invest your PF earnings in an FD, simply book an appointment online and wait for a Bajaj Finance executive to get in touch!
Additionally, to continue earning higher, you can opt for auto-renewal and at the start of a new tenor, you will get 0.25% extra interest as a bonus. Moreover, when faced with a cash crunch, you can pledge your Bajaj Finance FD to take a loan of up to Rs.4 lakh, which eliminates the need for you to make a premature withdrawal. To invest your PF earnings in an FD, simply book an appointment online and wait for a Bajaj Finance executive to get in touch!
Also, Check out: Write for us section if you want to send us content.